Saturday, May 22, 2010

Graduation Day

Steve's daughter, Chelsey, graduated from Berryville High School last night.  Boy did the memories of my own high school graduation come flooding back.  Steve on the other hand-well, he has no memories of his high school graudation because HE DIDN'T GO TO HIS!!  The goober!!

Anyway-

108 kids graduated from BHS.  The ceremony itself was short and sweet.  The Valedictorian did great with her speech, Chels presented the "Teacher of the Year" award, the class poem was read and the class song was sung.  They passed out diploma's, changed their tassles and tossed their caps.  It was neat to see (and my dang camera ran out of battery so I didn't get a picture of the caps being tossed!!).

The only bad part of the night was when the Prinicple was announcing the names of the graduates as they walked on stage to get their diplomas.  He announced Chels' name as "Kelsey Nicole Parker" instead of "Chelsey Nicole Parker."  I felt bad for her!  She laughed and said "CHELSEY" as she walked on stage, but the Principle had already gone on to the next name.  Poor kid! 

After graudation we met "That Boy" as Steve so affectionately calls Chels boyfriend, Wes.  I haven't talked about it much on here, but to say that we've had some problems with Chels and Wes would be an understatement.  They have dated off and on for two years and it's not always been a healthy, Godly relationship.  Together, they've made some bad choices and they've had to face some pretty harsh consequences.  Chelsey has always been a great kid and we've not had any problems with her until she started dating Wes.  Chelsey almost lost ALL graduation festivities due to poor judgment while dating Wes.  That being said though-they have once again been allowed to date by Chelsey's Mom and Step-Dad. 

When we got to graduation, Chels pulled me aside and said "Would you please make sure Dad is nice to Wes when he meets him?"  We were supposed to have met Wes back in February, but he broke Chelsey's heart the day before Valentine's Day.  So we didn't get to meet him after all.  Last night was the first time.  And I have to say-I'm proud of my husband-he did well!  He didn't threaten to beat Wes or anything! HA!  And as we were taking a family picture, Steve even pulled Wes into the picture with us!  I about died-as I think Wes and Chels both did!  I think the only time Wes about really died was when, as we were leaving, Steve shook Wes's hand and said "You need to come over to the house so we can have a talk sometime."  Hee, hee, I think Wes about died right there.  His face went white and he said "yes, sir."  :)

Chelsey will be heading to Russellville, Arkansas in August to attend Arkansas Tech.  She has no idea what she's going to major in.  She just knows she's 18 and she wants out of the house-so she's going to Tech.  (Wes will be going to UCA in Conway and she was told she was NOT allowed to go to UCA-they need some time apart-so this will be an interesting semester)  She's excited and I think she'll be fine as long as she makes some good choices.  She and I have had several long talks about my college years and the mistakes I made.  I hope both of my girls learn from my own experiences but only time will tell.

Last night when I met Wes, Chels said "This is my Step-Mom, Shelly."  I don't know what it was about that phrase but it sure made me feel old!  I wanted to say "No, I'm a her sister" but I think it was too late for that.

When we were walking out of the arena last night, I told Tanner that it wouldn't be too long and she'd be the one up there walking across the stage.  Her response was "Don't worry Mom, it won't be for another four years."  My, how time flies though-I can remember when Chels was Tanner's age!!  It seems like just yesterday.

I'm going to end this with the words to a song sung by Kenny Chesney that was playing last night.  It sums up perfectly what I think many of us parents were feeling and thinking last night.  Don't blink......

"Don't blink.  Just like that your six years old and you take a nap...and you wake up and your 25, then your high school sweetheart becomes your wife.  Don't blink. You might just miss your babies growing like mine did...turning into Moms and Dads, next thing you know, your better half of 50 years is there in bed and your praying God takes you instead.  Trust me friend, 100 years goes faster than you think...so don't blink"

1 comment:

JulieAnn said...

They do grow soooo fast! Have you heard the Sanctus Real song on my blog? That song really is convicting me right now. Am I giving the best part of my life to my family? Are they hungry for love because of things I'm doing that I could give up? Being a parent is hard work and we only have one chance...and that seems to go by in a "blink".