Monday, December 7, 2009

God's Sense of Humor

Sometimes, the events of my life cause me to question whether or not God has a sense of humor.

Today, I found out he did and it really made me laugh!

As you know, Tanner is on her Williamsburg trip this week. She's been calling either really early in the morning or later in the evenings. They take their phones away during the day so she's limited on when she can call.

When I woke up at 5:30 this morning, I realized she hadn't called. I've been telling her if she doesn't call, that it's ok, I won't be mad or anything, I'll just assume no news is good news. Deep down though-yea, I want her to call every day-twice a day and keep me posted on how much fun she has!! :)

Anyway-I was bummed to think that she hadn't called, but went on getting ready anyway. As I was washing my hair, the phone rang. I about killed myself jumping up to get the phone and when I answered, I could hear someone on the other end, but they couldn't hear me. I'm standing there saying "Tanner? Hello?" All I could hear was girls talking.

Just as I was about to get frustrated because no one was responding, I heard in the background one of the best sounds ever-Tanner laughing hysterically at something!! It was so funny and caught me off guard so much, I had to laugh myself.

I hung up and knew that the girls had no idea that their phone called me. I couldn't help but smile the rest of the morning after hearing Tanner laugh like that.

As I hung up, I stopped and thought about the funny events that just happened. God answered the prayer I had just moments earlier prayed. I didn't ask God to let me talk to Tanner, this morning, my prayer was that I would hear from Tanner.

Yep, God answered that one, just not in the way I expected.

I wonder how many times before that God has answered my prayers and I've missed it because it wasn't the way I expected?

Thank you Jesus for hearing and answering our prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! :) God is SOO good!

Glad He showed you how much He's really listening to you... and how much He's really taking care of your precious one! :)
Love you!
~missie ray G

Katie said...

This is a sweet story, Shelly. What a wonderful reminder about GOD's answers. They can definitely take us by surprise.

Annette said...

That is awesome! What a great way for you to 'hear from Tanner'. God is great. Thanks for the reminder! :)Love you my friend! :)

Tiffany said...

Oh I love that!!! That's an amazing story! You gotta love those "warm your heart" moments!