Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A little catching up

We finally got our computer back yesterday from the fix it place. Trying to reinstall our wireless internet through Cox Communications was nothing short of a nightmare. I was on the phone with their tech support people an hour and twenty minutes only to have the uppity, condescending lady on the other end tell me there "wasn't a problem." Yea, she bore my wrath for a few minutes. She then directed me to Linksys, the company that makes our router. I called them and spoke to a very sweet, English speaking woman in the Philippines. Thankfully she was able to walk me through the steps to get things back on line and up and running again. I told her I would come to the Philippines and hug her neck! I don't think she thought I was serious. I was. Ugh. Thankfully though, it's fixed and we're back on line. (For today at least!)

Yesterday Tanner and I went up to the school and got her schedule. Her friend Karley, who is a 9th grader, was there and showed us around to Tanner's locker and classes. She was super nice and made Tanner feel better about things. I hung back and let the two of them walk together up in front of me, as not to look like "The Mom" that I am. :)

According to everyone who has looked at Tanner's schedule, she looks to have a pretty good year. Everyone has said she's got great teachers, so that's encouraging. They did put her in Choir, which she didn't want. The Choir teacher last year made all the girls try out for Choir at Southwest, whether they wanted to be in Choir or not. (Don't really agree with that, but whatever) After talking to Karley about it though and hearing Karley describe the Choir program and it's director, "Amazing," I think Tanner's going to give it a shot and see if she likes it. If she doesn't, she can always switch out at semester time.

The rest of the day, we just hung out here at the house, relaxing and resting up. I figure we've only got a couple days left of being lazy, so why not!

Today after speech, we went and picked up Hannah Lewis, the daughter of the Asst. Principle and our Lt. at work. Hannah will be in 9th grade at Southwest this year so I wanted to introduce them to each other. They have hit it off really well. I'm so happy! We went and ate lunch, then went to the school and the girls walked around looking at classrooms and talking to teachers. We also stopped in and talked to Mrs. Lewis so that Tanner could meet her and be familiar with her.

Mrs. Lewis (the Asst. Principle) is such a sweetheart. I just love her to death and am so glad that she's there at the school. She kept telling Tanner that she could put her backpack or whatever she wanted in her office, that she could stay after and hang out with Hannah whenever she wanted and that if Tanner's just having a bad day and wants to come sit in Mrs. Lewis's office, that's ok too. I love knowing that Tanner's got a "School Mom." I think Tanner feels much better and a little more secure knowing she's got a "School Mom" as well.

Hannah came home with us and they are in watching tv now. I love hearing them laugh and giggle. I hope and pray that this the start of a really good friendship for the girls.

I think we are all ready for school to start. Of course Tanner's still got the jittery nerves a little, but that's normal. I know she feels more confident about finding her classes and such, since she's been to the school several times and has figured out her way around. Though I'm sad that summer is over and school is starting, I'm also excited to see how this year plays out and to see what the future holds for my girl. I hope and pray that she has a great year, that she makes some great friendships and that she is a good witness to other kids and teachers.

This year is going to be a little different in one way. Ever since Tanner started kindergarten, she has known that she will be a "car rider" and will be picked up by someone. This year is going to be different and is going to take patience and flexibility on all of our parts. Tanner's school is closer to our house this year, than Mike's house. That means that it makes it more difficult for Jill to pick Tanner up after school. Also this year, Tanner starts the staggered start times. She goes to school from 8:45 until 4:00-not an easy schedule for an 8:00-5:00 parent like myself! The people that we've carpooled with the last two years aren't able to carpool as frequently this year as in years past. I told Tanner yesterday that instead of knowing everyday that someone was going to pick her up, this year, she will probably be told in the morning (or even in the afternoons!) what she's supposed to do that day after school. Mrs. Lewis made a good point today in that she (Mrs. Lewis) will be there most days until at least 4:30 so Tanner can always stay and hang out with Hannah those days. If there is a home volleyball or football game, she can stay until 5:00 when I get off work and I can pick her up after work. My sweet husband has said he'll do whatever needs to be done-taking her or picking her up-it doesn't matter. That makes me feel good! We're just going to have to play it by ear and be flexible.

I'm exhausted. I've been fighting a headache for the past two days and today, woke up at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. So I got up, read, did some online banking and then, just as Tanner got up-I got sleepy again!! No rest for the weary though-I fixed her breakfast instead of going back to bed and have been on the go since. I think tonight I'll take a sleeping pill so that I'll for sure #1, go to bed early and #2, get a good nights sleep. Hope it works!

I need to get off of here and figure out what in the world we are going to have for dinner. I so don't want to cook, but suppose I will anyway. Oh well.

Hope everyone has a great first day back to school! Here's hoping to a great year!

No comments: