It's Monday morning....I couldn't sleep last night due to a late afternoon nap....finally got to sleep and the alarm went off after five minutes (ok, not really. It was really three hours but it sure seemed like five minutes!). I got up and around in an hour. Feeling happy that I'm out of the office four out of five days this week......
So I celebrated the way that anyone in my position would.......I ate a couple of cake balls while drinking my Chai latte!! Wooohoo!!
I've had several people ask me what cake balls are. Here's the gist:
1 boxed cake mix, any flavor
1 can of frosting, any flavor
Almond bark
Bake the cake like you would any other cake. Let cool for twenty or thirty minutes or so. Heat up the tub of frosting in the microwave until it's a little runny. Crumble cake in a big bowl. Pour warm frosting over it. Mix together.
Roll cake/frosting mixture into balls and place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Put in freezer overnight.
The next day......................
Melt almond bark. Dip each cake ball into chocolate and allow to harden.
Enjoy!
__________________________________________
Now here's a few notes from when I did mine:
I used my mixer to mix the cake and frosting together. I've read different recipes and reviews where people did and didn't use the mixer. Your going to get messy no matter what, so it really doesn't matter.
I put mine in the freezer on Friday night and fully intended to dip them first thing on Saturday morning. Yea, that didn't happen. I didn't get to them until Saturday night. Not a problem though. They didn't and don't freeze completely solid. They just harden up a little bit. They are totally bite able and don't need any thawing or anything else.
I haven't figured out a way to dip them yet to where they look pretty. Mine were pretty ugly. I used a red velvet cake mix and vanilla frosting. I tried using a toothpick, a fork and a spoon to dip and they were still ugly. I know no one else cares and they still tasted heavenly but I'm anal retentive that way and want them to look pretty! I think I'm going to try dipping them by hand and also going to get a Wilton candy dipper thing and try that.
You can use whatever cake mix/frosting combination that you want. It is totally up to you.
My friend from college, Missy, gave me the idea of making some this weekend for Easter. I'm going to shape them in the shape of eggs and then get some colored chocolate melts and dip them in it. I'll probably use a milk chocolate drizzle on them as "decoration" but you could also put some decorating glitter, sprinkles, etc.
_____________________________________________________
Ok, Tanner just got up so my day has officially begun! Tonight is Tanner's first softball practice (even though it's 31 degrees outside-brr!) so it's going to be a long day, but a fun day no doubt.
If you make any cake balls, let me know!
Life.Is.Good.
5 comments:
Oh, I am SO EXCITED I made in into your blog!!! :)
I'm glad you like the cake balls!! I think I've dreamt about them this week! I will caution: they are addictive and therefore dangerous to your waist line! :)
Love you!!
Don't forget to post pictures of your egg/cake balls!!
~Missie
Yum! Is it worth the work? I'll have to try it out sometime!
i read somewhere that the whole can of frosting was waaaay too much so when i make them i'm gonna start with 1/2 then add as needed.
unkie
So where's the picture of these ugly balls? I want some...choc. with choc. with choc. please!!!!!
MMMM, I've had cake balls before! They are SOOO good! You'll have to do Oreo Truffles sometime. Crush a package of oreos real fine and mix with a block of cream cheese. Form into balls and freeze them, then also dip in almond bark. DIVINE!! :)
Post a Comment