For those that don't know...I had to have an ovary removed six years ago and then ended up having to have a full hysterectomy four months later. I was having LOTS of girl problems and had tried many different treatments and nothing worked so my only option was a hysterectomy.
My Dr didn't want to take my last ovary out when he did the hysterectomy because he thought that maybe that would sustain me for years to come, as far as hormones go. I remember the nurse and I both begging Dr. McAllister to take it out-yea, it didn't work.
Last year I started having hot flashes, among other things. Boy what an experience that was! I talked to the Dr, he did lots of blood work and then started me on both estrogen and testosterone. I felt great there for awhile. I slept good. I wasn't moody (ok, I wasn't as moody!). I wasn't having hot flashes....life was great.
Fast forward to a month ago........oh my granny, the hot flashes started up again as did the sleeping problems. Now granted, I did a little experimenting earlier on and figured out that the testosterone pill that I take makes me gain weight. So I stopped taking it for a few weeks, lost a few pounds but slept HORRIBLY! So I went back on the testosterone and once again life was happy....until January.
Let me just say here....before all of this, when women talked about hot flashes, I thought it meant your whole body was hot and that you'd sweat like a pig. Not for me. When I have a hot flash, it feels like my face is on fire. Not like sweating hot, but more bad sunburn, hot from the inside out burning up. My face turns a nice shade of crimson and stays that way for a few minutes. It's a weird, horrible feeling.
I called the Dr yesterday and asked if this was normal and if not, what could we change in order to make life bearable-for me and my family! I went in today and got some new hormone patches. The Dr increased my patch and said we'd see if this works. I go in the first of March for more blood work and a possibly another change in meds.
I am just anxious to see if this new patch works or not. Steve is crossing his fingers and saying his prayers that it does.
Stay tuned.....we'll see what happens!
2 comments:
Oh how awful! I feel for you girl! I believe I've had a couple of hot flashes in my life, but not on a regular basis. Those hormones are a crazy thing and I hate that they are "out of whack" for you. I'll pray that you find the right amount quickly!
Prayers go up for Steve too! ;o)
Oh no! That is horrible! I'm so sorry you're still dealing with all of this! It totally stinks when your body feels out of whack! I hope this is the answer!!(((HUGS))))
Post a Comment