One hard day down, another to come tomorrow. At least we made it through today, right? Here are some observations from Gma's visitation that stuck out to me:
1. Gma and Gpa knew a TON of people. Oh.My.Word. You should have seen the people-they kept coming and coming. It was really neat to say. As Tanner said earlier "Gma and Gpa were popular you know...they were just cool like that." Out of the mouths of babes-ya gotta love it.
2. Gma had her nails done just like I knew she would. That's one of the many things that sticks out in my mind about Gma is the fact that her nails were always painted, as were her toes. Here the last year or so, my Aunt would paint Gma's fingers and toes. I got my nails done on Wednesday because I wanted to have nice nails like Gma always did. Tonight, when I first saw her, her nails were freshly painted.
3. My family is awesome and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Gma and Gpa are so proud of all of us right now. I know they are up in heaven, holding hands and watching us down here, with huge grins on their faces. They raised us to take care of one another. They raised us to love each other and stand together, espicially in times of trial. That's what we're doing now.
4. Typically in a situation like this, there are hurt feelings and people getting bent out of shape over material things. Not in my family. The big kids (my Dad and his siblings) have worked all week at Gma and Gpa's house this week packing things up and going through stuff. There have been lots of laughs, lots of tears and lots of memories, yet NO arguments or hurt feelings. I think that speaks volumes.
5. The number one thing I heard tonight was "Your Gma needed to be with your Gpa. They were one and needed each other." Amen to that.
6. A distant cousin of mine described Gma and Gpa as people, who after spending time with them, made you want to be a better spouse to your husband/wife and to be a better person in general. Someone else described Gma and Gpa as having true "Agape Love" for each other.
7. My little brother Matt looks good. He had his collar off a little bit tonight and has lost quite a bit of weight. He looks good though, all things considering. I love that boy to death, I'm telling you.
8. Steve and I, my parents and Matt and his wife all went over to Gma's house after the visitation and looked through a few things. It's so weird though taking something from them. I know that's what Gma and Gpa would want-they'd want us to divide things up equally and for everyone including the great grandaughters, get something. After that, we went and ate at Chili's. Yum, although I must be honest and say that my tummy is so not liking my nachos.
9. I can cry and cry, yet the pain is still there. Time will make things easier, I know that. We just have to get through tomorrow and then we'll be ok.
10. My Tanner does NOT like being by herself. She is at Mike and Jill's tonight. They are both out of town so Jill's Mom is staying with the kids. Tanner called me at 9:15 and said she was scared because Mike, Jill and Stevie were out of town so could I please say a prayer for her and that would help her fall asleep. One of my best friends in the world is a Lt. with our P.D. and works midnights. I told Tanner I'd have him drive by the house tonight and that'd make her feel safe. She agreed and I called Kevin. He told me he'd do it without a doubt. I love good friends...don't know what I'd do or where I'd be without them.
11. My dad doesn't handle grief well.
12. I'm exhausted and am going to bed. I think I just fell asleep in the chair. Not.Good.
1 comment:
Hey sweetie,been thinking of and praying for you and your family this morning. Those are truly amazing observations. Brought tears to my eyes! Love you!
Post a Comment