Friday, October 17, 2008

Laid to Rest

It's official....Gma's earthly body has been laid to rest.

This morning was a rough one. It was cold and dreary when we got up and that didn't help matters any. We got to the church and let me tell you, the tears started. And they wouldn't stop. I thought Gpa's funeral was hard. Yea, this was was harder for me. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that this one was final. After we lost Gpa, we still had Gma. Now we only have each other. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing and I can't put into words how grateful I am to have such a good, close family. But you know, Gma and Gpa were the head of the family (in an earthly way-in a spiritual way, God is the head of our family). It feels weird that they aren't here anymore.

There were lots of people at the service today. I think it's neat how so many people loved my Grandparents. I think it's neat how they touched so many lives, young and old. I know I've said it before, but they were one of a kind, I'm telling you. Several people outside of our family, said today that we were so lucky to be apart of such a legacy. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not real sure why God blessed me with such a strong, close family, but I'm so thankful that He did.

The service itself was really good. Bill (our minister) did a wonderful job. Gma didn't leave instructions for Bill like Gpa did. Bill did great though and at one point, I think he was about to cry himself, which I thought was neat. I cried through the majority of the funeral. I know your shocked. It really was a beautiful tribute to Gma. It was neat because Bill even talked about Gpa and it ended up kind of being a tribute to both of their lives. It was very touching to say the least.

When the service was over and we headed to the cemetery it was overcast, cold and raining. Not good weather for a graveside service and high heel shoes. Mom, Dad, Matt and Tammy rode with us and we followed Mike, Jenny and their kids (my oldest brother) in the processional. As weird as it sounds it was neat to all be together like that. Since Mom and Dad rode with us, it almost felt as if we were protecting them or something. It's hard to describe. It was neat nonetheless.

After the graveside we went back to the church for lunch. My Aunts and Uncles had set out some old pictures and yearbooks of Gma and Gpa's. Do you know, they were married for 63 years and had been in love since they were 14. They were 82 I believe when they died. Isn't that wild!? The stuff they wrote to each other in their yearbooks was HYSTERICAL! Oh my word, we got lots of good laughs out of reading those. It was really funny to see their pet names for each other! Lunch was relaxing though and more of a joyous occasion as opposed to a sad one.

When we left the church several of us went back over to Gma and Gpa's house. I know I said it last night, but there is something very unnatural about going through things and saying "I'd like this." Gma and Gpa wouldn't have it any other way though. That is what they'd want us to do. We had a few laughs when we were at the house. I had no idea my Gpa was as anal retentive as he was (now I know where I get it!). And he was a very handy man as well. He modified so many different things throughout the house and there was very little wasted space. He stocked up on things when he found a good bargain. For example...he had 53 bars of Irish Spring soap. He had 20-30 rolls of electrical tape. He nailed a 2x4 to the wall in the closet, then hammered some nails in them. He then proceeded to label the nails with different colors. That's where he hung his ties. He has 17 suits. On his pant hangers-he put the color of pants that were to go on that particular hanger. Gma-she loved to read and do puzzles. She had loads of books and a couple of puzzle boards.

Of course there were lots of photo albums and a lot of pictures. Looking through them we had to laugh, if for no other reason, because we had such bad hairstyles back in the 80's! It was a good time though and I'm glad we had those few minutes of laughter.

In one of the bedrooms, Gpa had a nameplate that sat on his desk that said "Bud Golden." Steve took my aunt in there, showed it to her and asked if he could have it. He wants to set it on his desk at work. Yea, I had to walk away because I started to cry and I think my Aunt was going to cry as well-she just gave Steve a big hug and said she loves him so much and is so glad that he's part of the family. :)

So now I guess the healing process begins. Though I don't think the pain will ever go away, at least maybe in time, it will get easier. Gma and Gpa wouldn't want us to be sad-they'd want us to rejoice in the fact that they are now together with their Lord and Savior. Life in the Golden family will never be the same.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Wow, Shel, you are truly an inspirational writer. I feel I was right there with you after you descriptions! I love hearing some of your grandparents' traits. Thanks for being so real in your posts and sharing your raw emotions with us! I love you and continue to pray for you and the whole Golden family!