Thursday, June 24, 2010

Stomach Dr Follow Up

I went back to my GI Dr last week for a follow up of the scope I had a few weeks ago.  Basically my stomach/digestive tract doesn't work properly.  It doesn't empty....or it empties very slowly.  Picture a ditch along side of the road that has poor drainage.  It rains.  Because of the poor drainage, the dirt/trash and water in the ditch remains there and becomes stagnate and icky.  That's what happens to my stomach.  I eat.  It doesn't go anywhere but instead sits in my stomach and basically rots away until my stomach decides to expel it.   In the meantime, I get very nauseated, feel full almost all the time, am very bloated and have horrible reflux.  Fun, huh?  There are only two medicines out there to help with this problem.  There used to be three, but the third, which worked WONDERFULLY for me, was taken off the market due to strange side effects.  I've tried the other two medicines and have had not good side effects from them.  But at this point, we've got to do something.  I could do an all liquid diet the rest of my life, but I really don't want to do that just yet.  When my stomach is bothering me really bad, I will switch from eating real food to eating nothing but smoothies or drinking broth.  I don't want to do that all the time though.  So we decided we'd try the drug Reglan again and see how that goes.  Instead of me taking it three times a day, I'm only taking it twice-once in the morning and once at night.  That way, if I have unpleasant side effects, I only have to fight them the one time during the day and then I sleep them off during the night.  So far, so good.  I've been taking the Reglan for 9 days now and it seems to be helping some.  I can totally tell a difference in the way I feel when I wake up in the morning.  I don't have that gross nauseated feeling like I used to have.  It's a relief to say the least.  And during the day, I've not had any side effects at all.  So I'm very thankful.  Hopefully this, plus the other stomach medicine I'm on, will all work together and maybe I can have a semi-normal digestive track. 

Oh and I got a letter from Blue Cross stating they would once again pay for my Nexium.  Praise God!  At the first of the year, they said they weren't going to cover it anymore and the first time my GI Dr appealed it, they denied it and said I had to take something else.  Well, I took the stuff they wanted me too and it didn't help.  That plus the fact that my stomach is full of polyps and they can prove that now that they scoped me a few weeks ago, was enough for BCBS to pay for the Nexium again.  Praise God!

No comments: