Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Test Results, Among Other Things

I found out yesterday that my test from Friday came back NORMAL.  Thank you Jesus!  I'm scheduled this Friday for an EGD.  Basically what they will do is put a scope down my throat and look around.  I'll be out of it and they will give me stuff through the IV to where I won't remember it.  Again, thank you Jesus!  Steve will take me and bring me back home and if history repeats itself (I've had several of these done now), I'll sleep off the drugs and be back to normal on Saturday.

Stress is so not cool and I'm not sure why God wired me the way He did.  I mean really, I wish He'd have either A. given me more patience or B. a stronger tummy to handle all the stress.  Nonetheless though-I didn't get either and have been dealing with the hand I've been dealt ever since.

Two weeks ago today, Steve's Capt (at the PD) called him in and basically "suggested" he retire.  Long story short-the Chief has enacted a new physical fitness policy (that's a whole other blog..I totally agree our guys need to be in shape, I dont' agree that a 45 year old should be held to the same standard as a 21 year old new hire.  But like I said, that's a whole other post) and due to Steve's back, he is physically unable to meet the standards.  While the Chief hasn't said that people are going to lose their jobs.  there's been no real talk about what's going to happen if you don't pass.  The Capt was basically telling Steve, due to his "physcial limitations" that it's time to retire. 

The first night this all came down was horrible.  Steve cried.  I cried.  He was sad.  I was pissed.  I cried some more.  So did he.  I mean, c'mon.  He's been an Officer for almost  23 years.  That's a long freaking time.  And to be told, basically, that it's time to retire....even if the Chief or whoever has a "back up plan" it's still hard to take.  Plus, we've always said that we were going to move home to KC when he retires and at this stage in life, there is no way we can do that.  And that realization sucks as well.

Steve ended up talking to the Chief that Friday after talking to the Capt.  Basically everything the Capt said was correct (I only trust about five people at that PD and the Capt is NOT one of them), and it's time to start thinking about the whole retirement thing.  We were led to believe that this was all a quick process that needed to start yesterday.  The Chief however said she's not doing anything until July or August.  That gives us time to get all the Dr's notes/letters, along with all his medical records, together and to LOPFI (our retirement people). 

Over the last two weeks, we've gotten used to the idea of retirement and are actually kind of looking forward to it.  I mean, as Steve said himself, the only thing he will have to worry about is getting up and out of bed on time.  Wouldn't that be nice!? :)    At the same time though, it's still hard to think about. 

One thing for sure that we have COMPLETE confidence in, is that God is in control of all of this and ultimately, it's up to Him, not us as to what happens.  We just have to trust that all is going to work out and that God is working it for His glory.

So that's one of many things that's eaten at my tummy over the last few weeks.  Not very many people know just yet, and that's the way we want to keep it until it's more concrete.  If you think about it, feel free to offer up a prayer to the Big Man upstairs about this all.

Thanks!   



 

1 comment:

JulieAnn said...

Will definitely be praying for you guys!