Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

So for some reason, I'm way on the emotional side of things lately. I'm telling ya, someone could look at me the wrong way and I'd probably shrink into the nearest corner, pull myself into the fetal position and cry. Kind of drastic, I know. But true.

Not sure what the deal is-hormones? Stress? Work? Being tired? A combination of all things? Who knows.

What I do know is that this is New Years Eve 2009. As my Mom said earlier "this only happens once in your lifetime." It's the changing of seasons, so to speak.

2009 was a hard year for us. It might tie with 2008 as the worst (or one of) that we've had. The worst part of 2009? Losing my father in law on September 16 and having to watch while my husband grieved and worked through the loss. Trying to strike an even balance of being there for him, yet giving him the time and space he needed to process everything....all while grieving myself.
Another memorable time of 2009 was when Tanner had her right knee operated on on July 6. I stayed home for two weeks with her and also took her back and forth to therapy for a month or so. Her knee seemed much better and she got released to dance and resume normal activity by the middle of August or so. She was so excited! Unfortunately it didn't last. She is now back in therapy three times a week and once again dealing with knee pain-only now it's scar tissue causing the pain. For every down or bad thing, there is always a good thing to balance it out. A positive thing from losing Steve's Dad.....was the renewed relationship between Steve and his sisters. Their relationship had been on the rocks for years and right after Dad died, things were REALLY on the rocks, but they worked through it and came out stronger for it. We've hung out with his sisters and talked to his sisters on a regular basis now and we love those two girls to death. I may have lost a father in law and Steve may have lost a Daddy, but we both gained two sisters out of it and for that, I'm thankful.
An exciting part of 2009-the "Wedding of the Century." My cousin Dani got married on July 11 in Joplin. Dani was so sweet and included all of the little cousins in the wedding party and boy or boy, did those little girls LOVE being in their fancy dresses!! It was such a great weekend! I'm so blessed to be apart of such a big, loving and close family. I'm serious-our family is one of a kind and I'm not sure what in the world I did to be so lucky to be part of the "Golden (my maiden name) clan."
Another exciting part of 2009-Tanner got her braces off after only 363 days! WOOOHOO! I've not seen my child smile so much-ever. She is so proud of her smile and her teeth. We finish up our speech therapy on Monday and then we'll be "done" (except for her retainers) for good.



We have once again been seriously blessed by our church family this past year. I've said it before-New Springs Christian Church may be small in numbers, but we are big in heart. Our church family has supported us and even carried us through the good times and the bad. They have laughed with us (and probably even AT us!), cried with us and just stood by in the shadows for us. It's been great knowing we've always got back up.

And my parents-I have to say that they've been such great supporters as well this past year. Emotionally and physically. They were here for Tanner's surgery. Since my Dad wasn't working in September, he was able to come down and be here for Steve's Dad's funeral. My Dad didn't know Daddy Jack and Steve and I (as were his sisters) were touched to think that Dad would come down and stand in the back and support us. It meant a lot to me and I know it meant the world to Steve.
But you know what the BEST part of 2009 was?

The fact that we made it.

Yep, we made it.

We. Made. It!!!!!

And you know really, how can I complain? We made it-we finished out 2009 much stronger and definitely more resilient than we every thought. And it could always have been worse. God has watched over us, blessed us and shown us more than ever that He is in control and if we trust in Him, we can overcome anything.

So because of that, we are looking forward to 2010 and all that it has in store for our family. (I personally am a little nervous about what's in store-I'm not big on change you know)
I hope and pray that you and your family have a safe and happy 2010 as well.

Happy New Year from our house to yours!!

3 comments:

Annette said...

I'm wishing you a VERY Happy, laid-back and easy 2010! You deserve it girl! But you survived it all! You should feel so good about yourself!

Love you! :)

JulieAnn said...

Happy New Year to you! May God's blessing surround you and your family this year.

Tiffany said...

Happy New Year! I hope this year is alot better for you, Steve and Tanner! God Bless!