Folks, it's been a very rough week in the Parker household. Oh sweet Jesus, I was beginnig to seriously entertain the thought that someone had snatched my girl's personality and replaced it with something way ickier!
It's been ugly. Very ugly.
Let me say too, that I totally know I'm blessed. I know that Tanner is a happy, healthy 13 year old young lady. I know that at some point, I went through this same awkward phase she's going through. I know I gave my Mother the same trouble she's given us this week. I know my Mother stressed over me the same way I stress over her. I know that this too will pass (or at least I pray to God that it does!)........in the meantime though............
It's been ugly. Very ugly.
Smart mouth. Defiant, bad attitude. Tears. Huffing and puffing. Eye rolling. Back talking.
The list could go on and on.
And those that know me well know that patience is NOT one of my virtues. That being said though, I hate feeling like I do nothing but get onto Tanner. I try so hard to say one positive thing for every negative thing I say to her (i.e. "You are a great kiddo, but your not making a very good decision." etc) but holy cow, even that's been hard this week.
I've asked her if everything is ok at school. I've asked her if things are ok with her friends. I've asked her if something I've said or done has upset her.
No-that's the answer she's given me.
Tonight, my Prince Charming (PC) had had enough. And let me say, when PC has enough-you'd better watch out. Steve's always kind of stood in the shadows when it comes to disciplining Tanner. I could probably count on one hand the number of times he's gotten onto her in the four years we've been married. He usually lets me handle things and that's ok with me.
Tonight though-I had to call for back up.
Tanner knows when Prince Charming gets involved, she's pushed too far. I'm so thankful that he will step in and help either when he feels I'm not getting through to her or when he feels I need back up. Usually if PC gets onto her-it's like it snaps her back to reality.
When Tanner went to get in the shower tonight, I stood and just hugged Steve and cried my eyes out. I just felt so defeated as a parent. I asked him if he thought she was possessed, just hormonal or what!? It broke my heart for her that she was so angry at me and yet couldn't tell me what I had done to tick her off.
After she got out of the shower, I made her come into the living room and rock with me. Yes, the child is 13 1/2 years old and just about my size. But we've always loved to sit in Steve's rocking chair together and rock, so I thought rocking might ease things a little bit. She was pretty adamant at first that she was still mad, but after talking about things and rocking for about 20 minutes, we were both laughing and giggling.
So our night ended a heck of a lot better than it started, thankfully. Steve went to watch a scary movie in the bedroom while Tanner and I studied for a test together in the living room.
When she got ready for bed, we prayed together and then she kissed me, apologized and said "I love you."
What a sweet way to end an otherwise stressful day.
4 comments:
Hang in there mama! Sounds like hormones have taken over your sweet girl. Just think, Collette is like that already! What am I gonna do in 7 years when hormones kick in??!! AY YI YI!! Glad the evening ended well. Love you!
Nice way to handle that, Mom! I'm watching and learning. My day is coming....:)
sometimes kids don't know why they are in a bad mood. sometimes I don't know why I am in a bad mood. You did a good thing letting her know that you love her no matter what kind of mood she is having. Aunt Janece
Your such a good Mom Shelly! Tanner is a very lucky girl!!
Post a Comment