Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reliving My Childhood

I love the fall season. I'm so thankful every year when the temperatures cool, the leaves start changing and most of all-the apples are plentiful! Mom and I went to the orchard yesterday afternoons and got me 1/2 a bushel of apples.

Growing up, my Grandpa Molder would take "orders" for apples from Mom, her siblings and usually my Dad's family as well. He'd load up in his pickup, drive down to an orchard and come back with the bed full of bushels of apples.
Mom and Grandma would then get together a couple of Saturdays and do nothing but "play" with the apples. They'd make LOTS of apple pies, apple dumplings and homemade applesauce-all for freezing. Us kids would get to go to Grandma and Grandpa's with Mom and we'd get to play and hang out all day while Mom and Grandma worked in the kitchen.

Today, I decided that Tanner and I were going to make us some homemade applesauce. I'd been saving up my empty cottage cheese containers for awhile now and was all ready to go!

First I quartered the apples and cut the middle out. Then I put them in a pan with about 1/2 an inch of water in it. I covered the pan and let them simmer/cook for about 30 minutes or so.

The cooked down apples

The above contraption is what I remember my Mom and Grandma Molder using when they made applesauce. My Mom got my Grandma Molder's when she passed away. Well, when my Grandma Golden passed away, they found one of these at her house!! I don't remember her ever using it, but, it didn't matter, I knew that was something I'd love to have and put to good use. As goofy as it may sound, I cherish this piece of equipment...both for it's use and for it's sentimental significance.

The big bowl I set up the contraption in was from my Grandma and Grandpa Golden's house as well. It cracks me up every time I use this bowl and see my Grandpa's name on it. :) I sure do love (and miss) that man!

For those that may not know, you put the cooked apples in this funnel thing (anyone know what this thing is called??) and then use the wood thing there and roll it all around the sides. It smooshes out the apple pulp and separates it from the peel. It's the coolest thing!! Tanner did the majority of this today. I was really impressed because she didn't really tire out, but helped the whole time.

Here is the big 'ole bowl of applesauce after putting it through the contraption. See how pink it is!!?? Mom says that's because the peeling of the apple was so red! Who knew!?

At this point, we just added cinnamon and sugar to taste.....which includes of course...tasting it from time to time and testing it out............... :)
This batch made 72 oz of applesauce. I put two containers in the freezer for later and we're eating the rest now.


I love doing things like this with my daughter like my Mom and Grandma did. I think it's really neat how we pass traditions like this down from generation to generation. I hope it continues.

Thanks Mom and Grandma for setting such a great example and leaving such a legacy.