Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Week in Review

I figured while I was sitting here listening to my new favorite song blaring in my ears (there are few things better to me then fabulous, loud music-takes me away!), I'd give you a week in review.

It's been a tough week for us. Maybe by some people's standards it's been a walk in the park, but let me tell you-it's been stressful and tough. I'm glad it's almost over, but at the same time, I'm afraid this is only the beginning.

Let me start out by saying that my dear, sweet, loving, TEENAGE of a child has been in HORMONE HELL all week long. Maybe I should rephrase that and say that Steve and I have been in HORMONE HELL all week. Love her heart, I know Tanner doesn't understand what is happening in her body. I know that she's just getting the hang of this whole period thing-and I know that a lot of how she acts/reacts is based on how I act/react. And let me just go ahead and just say, I don't act/react well a lot of times (aren't you proud Mom that I admitted that!?). Teenage attitude is not something I deal well with. Back talking isn't something I deal well with. And oh my word, we've had lots of both things around this house this week! I wasn't sure that Tanner or I either one would make it out alive, but thankfully, I really think at this point we are on the downside of things and things seem to be looking up. We'll see how the weekend goes.

Steve had to drive 3.5 hours to Little Rock on Tuesday for a 4 hour class. It was our annual Awards Banquet at work that day and he had to miss it (although truth be told, he wasn't sad about it and I was kind of jealous that he got to miss and I didn't!) for a stupid class. I say stupid because the guys spent 6 hours of the day driving for a 4 hour class. Gotta love the 'Feds!

Sitting for that long of a period (they got one ten minute break in 4 hours!) was not good on his back. He came home that evening and has been in bed on the heating pad ever since. Fabulous, huh? So while Tanner and I are in Hormone Hell, he's unable to mediate. Of course it just hit me-he may have planned this all along!! HA! :)

Yesterday morning our home phone rang at 6:15 a.m which is never a good sign. It was Steve's sister. Evidently a little after midnight on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning Steve's Mom was out wandering in another neighborhood and fell. Someone saw her and they called the PD. She was transported to the hospital where she remains for now.

Don't know if you remember or not, but Steve's Mom has a lot of issues and always has. You know the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolfe?" Yea, they made that for Jan. She loves the attention and she loves when she's sick. Over the years she's had legitimate medical problems, which makes times like this even harder because it's hard to decide if she's really sick or if she's faking it for attention. The woman stresses us out like no other.

The Dr's did say today, I guess, that she does have pneumonia, which messes with her blood sugars, which could be why she's disoriented and talking out of her head. They are also looking further into something they saw on her back when they did the CT initially. Half the time she talks out of her head, half the time she can talk to you like normal.

Steve's oldest sister, Melissa, lives here, but their youngest sister, Mechele, lives away and has no contact with anyone in the family. Believe me when I say that if I didn't feel so bad for Melissa having to deal with all of it on her own, we'd have no contact either (and the only time we have contact now is when something like this happens. Otherwise we stay away as well). I can't do that to Melissa though. And having said that........that means I'm the mediator between Mom (Jan), Melissa, the Dr's, the Nurses and Steve. Steve just avoids it all together. Melissa is very high strung about it all...I'm the middle man who can talk to Mom and tell her like it is without feeling bad. It wears me out though-physically, mentally and emotionally. Trying to keep the peace between everyone and trying to keep Melissa from not freaking out too much is a full time job!

Jan currently lives in an apartment complex for the "elderly" (even though she's only 63). Mom is a hoarder delux. Well, the complex is fixin' to have their annual inspections on May 5 and if she doesn't pass, they will kick her out. She's not coming to live with us and she's not going to live with Melissa. That means we will go over there this weekend and clean, clean, clean (again-we just did this a year ago!) and get it ready for inspection. And by cleaning, that means we will be pitching the majority of stuff. We are also going to have a good 'lil "Come to Jesus" meeting with Mom and are going to lay out the rules again. I just hope it helps. I swear it's like dealing with another freaking child.

So that's been our week-fun, huh?

My song is long over and my eyes are heavy. I think that's a sign that it's time to shut this thing off and head to bed.

'Nite!

1 comment:

CelesteWheeler said...

Okay so I could tell by your statuses on FB that you were having a terrible week...I was praying for you, but not quite sure what for...I hope beyond hopes that you take a load off this weekend and all is right even for a moment to offer you some peace...