Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sad News

Remember a few posts ago when I talked about work and how I used to work with two of the best guys ever? We were a team-all three of us and we did so many things together. They took care of me and I took care of them. Greg went back to the streets and Kevin took a promotion (the jerk!) and went back to the streets also.

I love how we are still a team today-though we're now separated, we still stick together. They both work day shift and if there is anything that I ever need, they are the first two that I go to. In fact, Steve calls Kevin my "other husband" and if I need something and Steve is tied up at the office, he'll say "ask your other husband." Steve grew up with Kevin and Greg both, so he loves them just as much as I do. Love, love, love those two guys.

Today at 10:30, Greg called me and said that Officer Craig Chastain passed away earlier this morning. Chastain is the officer that I asked ya'll to pray for that had the cancer. The Dr's had given him only two to four months to live and after seeing him last week, I knew it wasn't going to be long.

My heart sunk when Greg told me the news. I just ache for Karris and her boys. I ache for Chastain's family-and for us, his PD family. Though he's so much better off and though he's not in pain anymore, the selfish side of us misses him like crazy and wishes he were still with us.

Steve is taking the news very hard. First of all, he did Chastain's background when he started and helped get him hired. Second, Chastain is only one year younger than Steve-he was only 42 and I think it hits home a little harder when your close in age like that. Third, as you all know, we've had a lots of tragedy and deaths in our lives the last few months and another one is just NOT what we want to happen. There have been few times where I've seen my husband cry like he did today. It broke my heart.

I think what touched me in respect to Steve was how my family reacted. They hugged and hugged Steve-it was so tender. He cried and no one thought anything of it-after all we are Goldens, remember? We tend to cry more than they typical family. When Steve went into the bedroom, my brother Mike, went in with him and talked to him for a long time. It was just neat to see my family reach out like that.

I called Karis, Chastain's wife. She sounded tired, yet at the same time, very relieved. She said Chastain went peacefully in his sleep, praise God. Hospice was there along with the family. Praise God for that. She was so sad, yet relieved that he's no longer in pain. She was so grateful that I called and through tears at the end of our conversation, said "Merry Christmas." Wow.

We are waiting now for the arrangements to be made and we'll head home as soon as we know when we need to be there.

Back to the teamwork part of this (I'm sorry if this sounds random)....while I was talking to Greg, my phone beeped and it was a text from Kevin that said "Call me ASAP." My other "team mate" was calling to tell me that Chastain had passed. See what I mean as far as we stick together and we take care of each other? He knew I'd want to know, but also knew that Steve and I would take it hard, so he wanted to make sure we were ok. He and Greg are helping with funeral arrangements and promised to call us as soon as they knew what was going on so we could head home to be there.

I love my guys-all three of them.

Chastain-rest in peace my friend. We'll miss you.

No comments: