Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

First off, let me say MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope everyone has had a wonderful, blessed holiday. I know for our family, it was a day of many emotions. Happiness, sadness, loneliness, blessed....we laughed, we cried. We laughed so hard that we cried! Grandma and Grandpa may not have been with us physically, but they were watching us from heaven and their presence was definitely felt. I'm telling you-they raised us right-they raised us to stick together no matter what and that's exactly what we did today.

Last night we went to the Christmas Eve service at my family's church (the church where I grew up). It was beautiful as always. Kind of weird-typically my Grandpa would have been up front serving communion and it was weird that he wasn't this year. We made it through though and headed to my Mom's brother's house afterwards.

We hung with them for awhile and had a good time. A lot of the cousins that were there, we only see once a year, but it's still good to catch up with everyone. I think it's so neat to see where all of us grandkids have ended up. I love seeing where everyone is in life as opposed to where we all THOUGHT we'd be growing up. It's neat to see everyone's kids and it's neat to watch the "little kids" get along so well, even though they only see each other once a year.

We don't exchange gifts with my Mom's side of the family. My mom and her sister-in-law's usually make homemade bread for each other and that's all. The last few years my Aunt Dottie has gotten us grandkids a little something. This year it was a framed picture of my Grandpa Molder, who died five years ago. Oh my word, I opened it, took one look and broke down crying. The picture was so neat and it was weird to see him standing there, looking just as we all remembered him. Wow. It was pretty neat.

This morning Tanner woke up bright and early. I held her off until 6:45 and then finally woke Steve and Mom up. We opened gifts with just us first and had a great time. Tanner got lots of neat things and though I was worried for a little bit that she might be disappointed (she's at a hard age, gift wise) with her stuff, never once did she complain. She loved each present she opened and it was neat to watch. She was "Santa" this year and helped pass gifts out, which she loved doing. This was the year of music for her-I think she got four or five new CD's. She's in heaven.

My sweet hubby of course went overboard again this year. He spoils me so much! I love that he has such a sweet, giving, tender heart. I don't know that I have a favorite of all the things he got me, because believe it or not, he did that great! I've got a couple of things to return tomorrow but they aren't anything major. Love it all!

Mom and Dad got me a pasta bowl set. I'm so excited and can't wait to go home and fix some spaghetti! I've always wanted some pasta bowls and it's just not something that I can justify buying myself. I'm so glad Mom pays attention when we're out shopping together and remembers things later! Thanks Mom and Dad!

Most of my Dad's brothers and sisters came over this afternoon for dinner and our annual "Golden Family Gift Exchange." It was odd that Grandma and Grandpa weren't there, but you know, overall, I think we did good. My Dad seems to be the one who isn't taking things as well-he's been very quiet and withdrawn today. I worry about him, but know that this is all part of it. It was sad for all of us-and we cried at times, but again, that's just all part of it. I'm just thankful that we are such a big, close family and that we were all able to be together and celebrate the birth of Jesus-just like Grandma and Grandpa would have wanted us to.

We are tired and worn out. My body hurts in places that I didn't know possible. I've taken my meds and I think I'm going to get off of here and hit the bed. Tomorrow is "returns" day, then a "cousins sleepover" at my cousin's house for all the little girls. I think the adults are going to have a Rockband contest or something like that. I suppose I should rest up for that. :)

Merry Christmas

No comments: