Well, as usual, the last week seemed full of drama again. I swear, will someone please tell me when it will end? If I didn't know any better, I'd think I'm beginning to lose my ever loving mind. God help us all when that happens!
Long story short: Steve's mom had a stroke last weekend. She's ok and is currently in an in patient rehab facility here in town. Now some background so you'll understand where the drama plays in: Steve's mom is a hypochondriac. She's had her fair share of illness's over the years and has come to LOVE and somewhat THRIVE on the attention (and to some degree, the meds) she receives when she's in the hospital. She is the perfect illustration of "the boy who cried wolf."
That being said, fast forward to Tuesday when we get a phone call that she's in the hospital and talking out of her head. Ugh. It's just so hard. It's hard to know what is pretend and what is for real. It's hard to figure out if she's really sick or if she just wants attention. A lot of the time, it's like dealing with a child, which is so hard for us! Of course it's easier to just ignore her and stay away, but that's not really fair to Steve's older sister. His younger sister is not in the picture and hasn't been for years......a product of their Mom's crazy behavior. So when we get the call, I usually will go and see what we can do. (Hello, I'm the "fixer" remember? GRRR!!!)
The Dr decided to put her in this rehab facility and let me just tell you, it's so nice! I am so impressed with it and so very grateful that there is a place here that will take someone like her. God bless those nurses, I tell ya! As we told my brother yesterday, Steve had to "put the smackdown" on his Mom and hammer into her little brain that she was going to stay there. She got it and thankfully we didn't have to raise our voices or anything. I think once Monday comes and they start all her therapy that she will be fine. And again, we don't know if this is for real or if she's acting this way for attention.
Get this-I find this funny. At the rehab/nursing home, they don't say that someone "escapes" they say "elope" instead. So last night, she wasn't an "escape risk" she was an "elope risk" and then today, when she did get out, she didn't "escape" she "eloped." CRACK ME UP!
I just talked to her nurse and she's doing fine now. Hopefully she'll have a good day tomorrow and then therapy will start on Monday. In the meantime, we are just hanging out praying the phones don't ring and hoping for a relaxing rest of the weekend.
1 comment:
Oh my heavens!!! I cannot believe you have to deal with so much! You are an amazing woman. Please, keep venting here so your head doesn't explode!! (((HUGS)))
Post a Comment