We just got back from the hospital where my little brother is at. Oh my word. From the stand point of "he really should be dead", he looks pretty good. That's the way that we are forcing ourselves to see things right now.
I got to go in and see him and initially he knew it was me. I tried really hard not to cry, but didn't do so hot. I talked to him for a few minutes and just stood there looking at him. He kept asking me "why me?" and I felt so helpless because I have no answer for him. I just kept telling him that it didn't matter that we loved him and were so glad that he was alive.
The orthopedic surgeon had not been in yet, but they don't think he'll need to have surgery on their neck. The surgeon will make that call though. They've got him on heavy duty pain meds, plus a lot of anti nausea meds. His neck is immobilized, as is his left shoulder and arm. He's throwing up, but they think that's from the pain meds. He's also having a hard time with short term memory, asking the same questions over and over. The Dr says that's due to the concussion.
A big praise is that he can feel his feet. He can wiggle his toes and when the Dr. tickled the bottom of his foot, he really felt it and flinched. I guess that was Matt's biggest fear last night was whether he could walk or not. Praise God that he'll be able to.
Another praise is that God totally had His angels around Matt last night. When this happened a Water Patrol Truck was in front of the car that stopped in Matt's way. The Water Patrol guy saw it all happened, turned around and called it in to dispatch. When he got there, Matt was hanging upside down unconscious (he was unconscious for ten minutes) in his car and the Water Patrol guy held his hand and stayed with him the entire time until they loaded him in the helicopter. He then brought my sister-in-law up here to the hospital. I don't know who this gentleman is, but I believe he was a angel sent from God.
Mom is sleeping, Dad is up at Gpa's hospital and I'm going to run an errand with Tanner, then go to Gpa's hospital. We're going back up with Matt tonight.
Thank you so much for all the prayers and the thoughts. Please keep them coming.
More later.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you are there this weekend! I know it must be hard to see though! I will be praying for him and for you as you deal with all of this emotion!
Post a Comment