Happy Mothers Day!!
My Mom and I weren't close at all when I was growing up. We were constantly arguing. If she said she liked something, I said I didn't. If she wanted to do something, I thought it was a dumb idea. I can honestly remember telling my Mom that I didn't like her whatsoever and I can remember her response, which was "I don't like you either. I love you, but that doesn't mean I have to like you."
Things changed between my Mom and I when I went to college. Things really changed when I became a Mom myself! My mom was a lifesaver when I was pregnant and then when I had Tanner and we lived with my parents. She went to Dr's appointments with me. She was in the delivery room with me. She believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. Once Tanner was born, Mom was the one who got up with me in the middle of the night and took shifts when Tanner was colicky. My Mom was the one who helped me change dirty diapers and clean up spit up. She encouraged me when all I wanted to do was throw in the towel. Even though she didn't necessarily agree with me getting married, she supported my decision and helped me plan our wedding. She did what she could to make sure it was as beautiful as possible.
Even now, if you asked me to name my best friends, I would say my Mom. Though we live four hours apart and only see each other once a month, we are as close as close can be. We talk at least twice a day-once in the morning before work and once in the evening after work. And heck, some days we talk in between there as well! If I need cooking advice-I call Mom. If I am mad at something, I call my Mom. If there's good news that comes our way-I call Mom. We unload our frustrations on each other and pray for each other every day.
Never in my wildest dreams would I have EVER have thought that I'd be best friends with my Mom. I thought we'd be enemies forever. Looking back now, I am so thankful for the hard times that we went through. I'm so thankful that my Mom loved me enough to look past all my imperfections and accept me the way I was. I'm so thankful that when I told her I was pregnant (and not married), though she was disappointed in me, she loved me anyway and was my biggest supporter.
Now that I have my own daughter, sometimes I can see myself through my mother's eyes (which is quite scary!). When Tanner says or does something that I don't like or approve of, or when she and I have a disagreement, I totally have flashbacks of my Mom and I when I was growing up. I remind myself that though we didn't have the best relationship growing up, we have the best relationship now and that makes it all worth it.
Happy Mother's Day Mom. Thank you for loving me during the difficult times. Thank you for raising me in the church and for setting an example of what a Godly wife and Mother is supposed to be. Thank you for letting me unload my fears and frustrations on you. Thank you for listening to me cry and encouraging me to when I feel like the world has gotten the best of me. I can only hope and pray that sometime, somewhere down the road, I can be half the Mom and friend to Tanner that you have been to me.
I love you, Mom.
2 comments:
Ahhh, I want your Mommy!
Oh what a beautiful tribute to your mom! So sweet! :)
Post a Comment