Saturday, March 15, 2008

Well, the MIL went back into the hospital yesterday. She wasn't even out 24 hours. Steve and I went over to meet with the home health nurse and she immediately took her blood pressure and said to call for a squad. Talk about irritating. Steve's sister, Melissa has the flu and Steve wasn't handling things well, so I sent him home and I went to the squad to the ER. That was at 2:30; we got her in a room at 9:00.

This week we'll meet with the hospital social worker and then start trying to find an assisted living place to put her in. I guess we'll have to clean out her apartment as well. It's frustrating because some of this is preventable if Mom would just take care of herself. She's capable of that, she just chooses not too. I don't understand that and quite frankly it pisses me off.

You know, growing up, I wasn't a big chocolate fan. I liked brownies and that was about it. No chocolate cake, no chocolate ice cream, no chocolate candy. Well one thing that I've noticed the last couple of weeks-chocolate is becoming my comfort food of choice when stressed out. I guess what they say about your taste buds changin the older you get is true!! Last night when I left the hospital all I wanted to was cookies and cream ice cream. I really wanted a fudge brownie sundae but choose the ice cream instead. And let me just say, man it was good!! Go chocolate!

Tanner is on Spring Break this week. She'll be at her Dad's all week. On Friday we'll pick her up and we'll head north to KC for Easter. We can't wait to get out of here. I hope Friday comes quickly.

1 comment:

Holly said...

My mom does not take care of herself and I fear this is her future and it makes me really mad. She had a mini-stroke but still continues to smoke, eat unhealthy (she's a diabetic) and does not even walk around the block. She has heart disease. Really makes me angry. And she tries to be everything to everybody which means she is stressed out but she's kind of numb to it. I feel your pain.

About chocolate....learn to like the dark kind if you don't already, it's actually good for you in moderation (flavonoids = antioxidants). I eat a Dove promise almost every day and it's so rich and smooth I don't usually crave many more after eating just one!