It has been a busy and hectic week at our house, but we finally got through it. The best part about it-we survived!!
Tanner had a good first three days of school. I think by Friday she felt confident about going to school as opposed to being nervous about it. She's made some new friends and even stood in front of the Social Studies class on the second day and pointed out some states on a map! When I found that out-my reaction (as was Steve's) was "My Tanner?"
Thursday night was open house at Tanner's school. I have to be honest and after working all day, I really wasn't all that excited to go. But when I walked out of the school at 9:00 that night-I was so incredibly glad I went, it wasn't even funny. I was excited about Tanner's teachers, about the principal, about the PTO and just about the year in general. Steve was supposed to have gone with me, but ended up having a deal going at 5:30 and didn't get home until 8:00. Bummer.
First I have to say that I love the Principal, Mr. Wagner. After the open house was all said and done, I was in the cafeteria talking to another Mom/friend. Mr. Wagner was in there so I took the time to introduce myself. I told him I was Tanner's Mom and that he'd be seeing Tanner in Mrs. Lewis's (the Asst. Principal) office quite a lot. He immediately said "Oh, let's sit down and talk about this." So we sat down at one of the tables and I explained that Steve and I work with Mrs. Lewis's husband and that Mrs. Lewis is Tanner's "school Mom." The look of relief that washed over that man's face was a hoot! He laughed and said "Oh, ok......so she'll be in there on a good note!!" He though I meant Tanner was going to be a problem child! Too funny.
All 8th graders are supposed to have a semester of PE this year. With band, choir, careers (required) and keyboarding (required), she didn't have PE on her schedule. I asked the counselor about it and she said we'd have to drop either band or choir. I asked if there was any way around NOT taking PE and she said only Mr. Wagner could ok that. So while we were talking in the cafeteria, I asked him about it. He explained how the law read and that technically, yes, she's supposed to have PE, BUT exceptions can be made and as long as I was ok with Tanner NOT having PE, he was ok with it to. Praise God!! She's so excited about band and choir that I didn't want to have to make her drop one.
Her teachers all seem like they are going to be good teachers. I was amazed at how much things have changed in the years since I've been in school! I don't think Tanner has one textbook checked out to her! They have classroom sets that the kids can check out if they need to, but otherwise, it's just the classroom set. I know Tanner brought home a CD of her Math textbook on Thursday night!! Is that a sign of the times or what!? Two of her teachers have "No Homework Policies" which I'm all for. And all of them said if there are any projects that the kids have to do-they will all be done in class and in groups, not at home as homework. She's got one class, Careers, that is basically an introduction to all different kinds of careers out there, along with what it takes to get a job. The goal is to get the kids to thinking about what they want to be when they grow up. Towards the end of the semester, they will go out and job shadow someone and then do a project and presentation about their day "on the job." I think that sounds so neat and fun!
I hope and pray it's going to be a great year. I'm sure we'll hit some bumps along the way, but overall, I'm excited....and truth be told-I think Tanner is too!
Steve and I both had to work today (we are back on our normal visitation schedule so Tanner was back at Mike's this weekend, unfortunately. I wasn't ready to share her again!). Steve had to be at the office while they stripped and waxed the floors and I had to help with the Entry Level Police Officer test. It was a beautiful day and I loved being outside this morning while the applicants too the PT test! We both got home around 3:30. I took a little nap and Steve mowed the grass. I fixed some BLT's for dinner and we've just been relaxing since. Thankfully I did the laundry and cleaned the house last night so I have to do that today.
Tomorrow is church and then I've got to go to the grocery and get ready for the week ahead. I'm having a hard time getting back into the routine of things....though I suppose that's normal considering school's only been back in session for three days. Next week is going to be a full, busy one, so I need to get my act together.
We just put in the movie "New In Town" so I think I'm going to turn the computer off, snuggle up with my man and watch the movie. (Hope I can stay awake!!)
'Nite!
1 comment:
I'm glad school is starting well and that you like the teachers! Did you stay awake for the movie? Did you like it?
Hope this week goes just as well, or even better!
Post a Comment