I left work early yesterday afternoon. I had to go pick up my truck from the shop and then wanted to run to Sam's before it got too crowded. While I was picking up the truck, Tanner called me. When I answered, I quickly told her I'd have to call her right back, but she said "Wait, I need to tell you something." She was crying so I knew something was up. I just figured though that it was seventh grade drama, no big deal. Wrong.
Evidently, after school, she was walking over to meet up with Emily, the girl she walks home with. Tanner tripped over something and fell, landing on her left wrist. She said her wrist hurt really bad so I told her I'd meet her at her Dad's and look at it. When I got there, she was still crying a lot. It was starting to swell and was a little discolored and she could move it a little, although when she did she cried even more. Honestly, I thought she was being a little dramatic and kept telling her to settle down. How bad is that! I finally called our friend who is a Physician's Assistant and asked his opinion. He told me to take her to get it x-rayed.
So off to the ER we went.
Come to find out, the little toot fractured/broke (on a side note-did you know those words mean the same thing? I didn't until last night) her wrist. Yep, she sure enough did. She's got a hairline fracture at the top of her wrist. The Dr. showed us the x-rays and Tanner thought that was so neat! The ER Dr. called and Orthopedic Dr to find out what he wanted him to do.
At the Ortho Dr's request, they put a piece of fiberglass over her arm, from the tips of her fingers to the elbow, and then wrapped it in ace bandages. This is her temporary cast until we can get see the Ortho on Thursday. When we see him, he'll decide from there what needs to be done, as far as another cast or if he'll splint it or what. They gave her some Tylenol with Codeine and sent us on our way. We were in and out of the ER in two hours time, which to me is pretty darn good!
Tanner's doing good with everything. She was upset last night because she'll be unable to play the flute for awhile. We are hoping that come Thursday the swelling is down and the Ortho Dr will just put her in a splint as opposed to a cast and she'll be able to play a little bit at least. The cast is of course uncomfortable, but she's doing fine with it and is figuring out how to get herself dressed and things like that, with only one hand.
In the meantime, we just wait for Thursday to roll around and then we go from there.
Never a dull moment in our house, huh?
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, you guys are just having a time.
You're right I don't believe it! Wow! Poor Tanner and Mom! I hope the pain goes away soon. I think you need to build a bubble around your family for awhile!!
poor girl! isn't funny how that happens? my sister fell of her bike when she was kid and i thought she was lying! she had a broken finger!
Holy cow! That girl has the luck doesn't she?!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment