Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hug Your Babies

Mommas, hug your babies extra hard tonight. I had an eye opening experience today and it's made me realize how in the blink of an eye things can always change.

I took a late lunch today. I had to pick up Tanner from school so I didn't take my lunch until 3:00. I had to drive through an elementary school zone on my way across town. I was in the school zone when a little kindergarten girl darted out in front of traffic. I was on the phone with Steve and yelled at him that the little girl was going to get hit. He also said he heard me honk. I don't honestly remember doing that. Anyway, a westbound car hit the little girl and knocked her to the ground. The car was going faster than the 20 mph speed limit, but it clipped her on the front bumper and though she didn't have far to fall, she fell face first into the street.

The car that hit her immediately stopped and I whipped around and pulled into the church lot across the street. I did it so fast the tail end of my truck was still in the street, but behind the car that hit the little girl. A passenger got out of the car and had picked the little girl up by time I got out of my truck. While I was fumbling for my phone saying I was going to call the Police, the guy shoved the girl at me and said she was ok. She was crying, but thankfully had no abrasions or anything like that. She had some bumps on her head and of course she was scared.

After the guy shoved her to me, the driver of the car started yelling that she was fine and we didn't need to call the Police. He was cussing and yelling and I yelled back at him to stay put. Of course he didn't-you know, my 5'3 1/4" self is just NOT nearly as intimidating as I wish it were-the passenger jumped back into the car and they sped away as I was on the phone with dispatch. I got a tag but they were long gone by time the guys got there.

The little girl is ok. They transported her to the ER and she'll be fine. The guys were unable to find the suspect. I am hoping and praying that someone will have a guilty conscious and come forward, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

This whole situation shook me up more than I'd like to admit. I've worked in L.E. for ten years. Steve has always told me that I have to leave my emotions at the door and yet for some reason, I just can't do that when it comes to kids. Scum bags are everywhere-I know that and I can accept that. But this was a little girl for goodness sake! We see the worst in people day in and day out in our jobs and you'd think I'd be used to something like this. But I'm not.

Yes, the girl was ok. Yes, it could have been worse. Yes, there are scum bags that do things like this everyday. Knowing these things don't make seeing it happen any easier. My heart still aches for this little girl and I'm still pissed that whoever hit her drove away.

I'm thankful for the officers and the paramedics that got there quickly and took care of this little girl. I'm thankful for the witnesses that stayed around and gave statements to the Police. I'm thankful for the teachers aide who went to look for the driver on foot while others of us stayed with the girl. I'm thankful for the school nurse who came out and looked at the little girl until the squad got there. I'm thankful for the officer who comforted the little girl with a stuffed animal he had in the car. I'm thankful that things weren't any worse.

So Mommas, hug your babies extra hard tonight. Tell them how special they are and how much they mean to you. And say a prayer over them and ask God to watch over them and keep them safe, no matter what age they are or what situation they are in.

I know I will. I already have.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We live our daily lives knowing that bad things happen to other people and we pray that these bad things don’t happen to us or someone we know. Today, you witnessed the bad things that happen to others and the bad things that happen to children, by bad people. I pray that this is the only bad thing that you see that can happen to a child. I know you are very upset by what you have seen, and my heart aches for you and what you had to experience with the criminal minds of other society, even if a child was involved. It’s easy to ask God for His healing hand for the little girl that was hurt, but it’s harder to ask God to forgive those that inflect the pain. We rely on Him for our vengeance and we pray for His Son to come quickly…11y

Annette said...

Wow, Shells, that is horrible! I'm so glad you were there to help though, even though it had to be so hard! That little girl needed a caring mama to tell her it was ok, and with your experience with the PD, you knew just what to do. I had a crappy day with my kiddos, but at least I have my kiddos to have a crappy day with! Thanks for the reminder! And your husband is way cool and so insightful! Thanks to him too! :)

Sara said...

Oh my goodness! While i am so sorry that you had to witness this, I am so glad you were there to take care of the situation! I hope those guys get what they deserve! I don't understand why anyone drives through a school zone without paying attention! Was the little girl walking home or was someone in her family around? How scary! I am going in to kiss my babies and pray for them again! Thanks!

Shelly said...

The little girl was walking home from school, I think. An Aunt arrived on scene about five minutes or so after it happened and I don't know if she was there to pick the little girl up or if the school called her after they couldn't get ahold of the Mom.

The Mom was working at Cargill on the line and we were unable to get in touch with her initially. We eventually sent one of the guys over to get her and take her to the hospital.

Holly said...

Okay, you made me cry. I am so sorry you had to witness such an incident. I'm sure God had you placed at that spot for several reasons.

Ahhh! I would just have a hard time shaking the images from my mind! I completely understand that.

I'm so glad she's okay.

Kissing is on my agenda...through all the crusty snot.